Dawlish in the 1870s with the station and chimney for the atmospheric pumping engine in the right background. During 1846, the installation of the atmospheric system took place alongside the regular timetable to Teignmouth. Brunel was heavily criticized by the board of the South Devon Railway, some of whom had questioned the fees that Brunel had negotiated. The first consideration for Brunel was the route to be taken; despite warnings from others, he decided that the line would follow the west bank of the Exe estuary, hug the coast between Dawlish and Teignmouth, in parts tunnelling through headlands, while in other places it would run on a narrow strip between the English Channel and steep, red sandstone cliffs. The station was opened by the South Devon Railway on 30 May 1846. From Starcross you can take the foot passenger ferry across the estuary to Exmouth. From that date steam locomotives replaced the pumping houses, and the atmospheric equipment sold off. Dawlish railway station is on the Exeter to Plymouth line and serves the town of Dawlish in Devon, England. Yes, it could have been improved more, but sadly that didn’t materialise for reasons that some would do well to reflect upon. It is a Grade I Listed Building. A rubber valve was ordered, and the feasibility of galvanising the valve was investigated, to prevent corrosion. Pumping stations were constructed every three miles at Exeter St Davids (became a water tower), Countess Wear, Turf, Starcross (still exists), Dawlish, Teignmouth, Bishopsteignton and Newton Abbot. It finally closed on 27 September 1986 since when the trains have been controlled from Exeter. On New Years Eve the line had been passed as safe by the Government inspector and the Sun Class locomotive, Antelope, left Exeter at 9.55 am and arrived at Newton at 10.45 am with its first passengers. To the north of the station is Coastguards Footbridge, with Coastguards Cottage, now a café, on the hill above the line to the west, and Brunel's Boat House between the line and the beach to the east. Quick View. The passenger train, hauled by Star Class 4055 Princess Sophia, failed to stop at a danger signal. The line was to be single track, broad gauge and, most controversially, worked by the still experimental system of atmospheric propulsion. [ 1 ] The strange wall with bricked up windows that can be seen in the car park is the remains of the engine house that used to power the trains while they were worked by atmospheric power from 13 September 1847 until 9 … The valve in the pipe continued to give problems, and to keep the railway running a gang of men was employed full time to keep the valve well greased and free from leakage. This is the best surviving building from Brunel’s Atmospheric Railway. The line ran right along the seafront, but Brunel ensured that the line was carried across the mouth of the stream on a small granite viaduct, leaving access to the beach. Passing the Dawlish Pumping Station - 1846. One of the pumping stations was in this town. The principal buildings were constructed adjoining Station Road, and the booking office was fitted with pitch pine cornice and fittings. Brunel Tower, Starcross Fishing and Cruising Club, Starcross, Devon, EX6 8PR. In addition, the pumping engines, designed for 330 mm (13 in) pipes, were taking longer than expected to exhaust all the air from the pipe ready for a train.  The new station was re-opened on 12 April 1875. New footbridge for Dawlish railway station (Image: Network Rail). The atmospheric railway opened on 30 May 1846 and ran between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot. Brunel had submitted a verbal report to the directors on 1 August when he outlined the difficulties so far encountered with the system. Each pumping station would evacuate the pipe of air, according to the timetable, which proved to be very wasteful if the train was no ready to leave the previous stop.